Pin

March 8, 2011

Any Ideas?



I'm linking this practice pillow to Fabric Tuesday!


I'm making a quilt for the Moda Bake Shop March contest and I need some advice.  I made this pillow as a practice for the actual quilting.  I, with my not-so-vast quilting knowledge decided I would try to do the the quilting as the instructions said they had done but I wanted to use a variegated thread because I have liked the look on many quilts I've seen.  


The photos above are evidence that this was a bad idea.  Freestyle(?) quilting is not as easy as I thought it would be and the butterflies look square.  Not how they should look!


Now the quilt top is done and the layers are basted together and I don't really know what to do to quilt it.  I was thinking of hand quilting the butterflies with perle cotton, maybe?  Straight lines?  I'm a little stuck at this point but I would really like to finish it up soon.  Any advice will be considered and much appreciated!

Have a blessed day!

love, Lisa

4 comments:

Becky said...

Free-motion quilting does take a lot of practice! Yours looks great! You might try the stipple in the border, and just outline the squares in the center. Or do an all-over design like long arm quilters do. Or (LOL) you could stitch the butterflies in the green squares, but that'd take some work! HTH Good luck!

Lisa Ann said...

Thank you, Becky! I'm still very intimidated and have been thinking about doing the stipple again with different thread and after some practice! Thanks for your comment! I appreciate it very much! :)

Rachel Hauser said...

I wonder if you might want to try a loop dy loop design. I did one on a recent baby quilt for do. Good Stitches and I think it may be easier than stippling: http://www.stitchedincolor.com/2010/12/blessings.html.

By the way, from looking at your blog, I DO think you'd be a great quilter. But, you have to decide if you feel ready =)

Quiltstory said...

Wow, I think it is really pretty. I have been doing some free motion quilting myself, hard, but fun. Thanks for linking to Quiltstory!