Pin

April 11, 2011

She Asked For A Simple Pillow


and I turned it into a quilt/pillow combo.  I just couldn't leave well enough alone (and keep it very easy for myself) and make her a simple pillow.  Here is what she wanted:


Very simple pillow that I made last year for the So Sew Challenge.  I just couldn't make myself make another of the same thing.  Plus I wanted to improve on the last Dresden that I made.  Then I thought that it would be nice to applique her middle name (since she collects things that say Joy).   And this is what I ended up with:


I'm way happier with the outcome of this Dresden!  It is nice and smooth and the applique did not end up too puffy.  I like it.  It is hard to tell in the photo but the large square of solid is a nice light blue that perfectly matches the blue in the print.


I'm linking this pillow up with all the others over at the Bloggers Pillow Party at Rachel's blog.  I love this inspiration!


To complete this project I wanted to make her a quilt.  I had made her a little quilt some years ago which she used all up.  She has been in need of a new "made-by-me" quilt.  At least I thought so!  This is what I made:


This is my first zig-zag quilt.  I used this pattern from Bee Square Blog.  This was really fun to make and piece and it has given me some good experience to move onto something more difficult than straight piecing.  


I'm glad to have something marked off of my WIP list.  Although I did start something else...  But on another note, I also signed up for my very first FNSI!  Can't wait for that.


*Edited to add:  How could I forget to mention links to my favorite sites to visit for inspiration?!?  Silly me.  Linking to Fabric Tuesday and All Things Inspired!  See sidebar for permanent links, there is so much inspiration to be found at these blogs!

I'll leave you with a portion of my very favorite Psalm.  A Psalm of David, no. 51 from NIV.

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.  Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

love, Lisa



13 comments:

Kim said...

Very pretty! I love it!!!!!

Christina said...

I love it, sister! :)

Rachel said...

Your pillow is adorable! :)

Sew Many Mamas said...

So creative! Love the colors too : )

Karenkay said...

Love your pillow and quilt!

Jenniffier said...

That is a great pillow and quilt, I will have to check out the link. I really want to make a zig zag quilt myself. :)

Karen said...

So cute and so thoughtful and creative to include her name! Who wouldn't love that? The quilt is awesome too!

Paula said...

Awesome work - how nice to make a matching quilt and pillow set.

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

Very pretty! I just love your dresden pillow and the zig zag quilt to go along with it!

Kim @ Cheap Chic Home said...

The chevron design has really been sweeping Blogland--I really like your version, it's my favorite so far!

MarieElizabeth said...

These are beautiful. I love that you personalized it and made the matching quilt. Just lovely!

Quiltstory said...

WOW! Gorgeous! I love your take on the dresden, beautiful. Thanks for linking to fabric Tuesday :)

Rachel Hauser said...

And a quilt too! You spoiled her =). I love how that floral print looks on the light blue fabric. Perfect! Thanks for joining in on the Pillow Party!