Pin

August 16, 2011

My Kaleidoscope

Sometimes I look at a finished project and I cannot believe that I made (baked, sewed, created) it.
At the beginning of this quilt-a-long I was sure I would be the first to finish for the simple reason that I was so excited to do it.  That did not happen.  But I love this quilt so much even though it was not without its moments.  And the fact that I finished so much later than was scheduled kinda irks me, though, I'm not sure why because I think that the finished product is so worth it!  Plus, it made me a better quilter, I think.


So, many thanks to Elizabeth for all of her hard work in putting this together, hosting and allowing us to join the fun.  I learned quite a few things with this quilt.  Knowledge I hope to put to use in the near future when I attempt my second quilt that will not be made entirely with straight, squared lines.

I went from this:

Chain piecing the corners
 to this:
Basting the layers with new curved pins!
and finally, to this:
Finished Quilt front
Finished Quilt Back
I love the way the quilting came out!  I must admit that I totally copied another Kaleidoscope quilt that was done by Katie of Katies Korner.  (I hope you don't mind, Katie!)  All in all, I'm so glad that I gathered the gumption to finish this before I set it aside and let it sit!  

Linking to Fabric Tuesday over at QuiltStory!  Pop over and take a look at all the inspiration there.

By the way, the fabrics I used are Central Park by Kate Spain for the main pieces as well as the backing, Kona White for the contrast and Sweetwater for the binding.


Thanks for looking,
love, Lisa

8 comments:

Sarah said...

i love the way you quilted it! And the colors are just fascinating! I'm bummed I didn't get mine done (or started) in time to join this linky party...yours was my favorite of them all...just beautiful! there's something about making it up as you go along that gives a quilt great personality! :)

Jane said...

This is a really nice quilt! Love the way the quilting looks on the back. Congratulations on a job well done!

Lyanna said...

Wow, you're quilt is beautiful! I have been wanting to make a kaleidoscope and this is one of my top 2 patterns. Love it and the quilting is just right.

Connie said...

Absolutely beautiful! It doesn't matter that you didn't get it finished on time......you finished it! That was a great quilt along wasn't it?

Cynthia said...

So cute! Love the fabric you chose! Just darling!

Katie B. said...

Wow!!! This looks fantastic! Kaleidoscope and Central Park--a match made in quilty heaven!

The quilting looks fantastic. I stole it from another member of the quilt-along, so I can't take the credit. But I love it!! Great job!

Q @ JAQS said...

That is so pretty - i really need to add this quilt on my list of 'quilts to make'.

BTW- I'm hosting a fabric giveaway over at my blog - swing by if you get a chance: http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/08/fabric-love-21-fabric-giveaway-end-of.html

-Q @ JAQS

Heather D. said...

Your Kaleidoscope quilt is beautiful, and I agree, the quilting is fantastic! I often stick with plain straight lines when I quilt because it's so fast, but the intricate quilting, while it probably takes longer with all the pivoting, etc., looks AMAZING!