Pin

April 3, 2012

A Duck + Some Birds

Here are some Spring inspired projects of late.  

Kirsty, the Duck, front
This is one of those wip's that I've had for many, many years.  At least 8!  She is a pattern from the book The World of Whimble Whimsy by Martha Young.  I bought the book in Atlanta at the actual Whimble shop and it was such a fun place!  

Kirsty, the Duck, back
I had forgotten all about her.  As I was cleaning and organizing an old bin of fabric I found a little bag full of her pattern pieces and all the parts of her already cut out.  It was quite the find for me so I decided right then to finish her up.  I'm pleased that she is done and while she is by no means perfect, I do like her. Quite a lot.  Perfect for spring!  

Another fun thing I've been working on is a bunch these little bird potholders/hot pads.  I think they are cute for the kitchen.  The added bonus is how fun and easy they are to make!  

 
I started by pulling some already cut scraps to see if I had enough for the front which I'm pleased to say that I did!  


One blue bird quickly turned into five, each in its own color.

 
When the patchwork was completed I will admit that I was not so eager to go on to the next stages.  But once I got the layers cut and stacked...


it was smooth sailing through the quilting and putting them together.  That was the fun and easy part!


Before I knew it, I was outside on a sunny Sunday evening taking photos of these little birds.  


I'm so addicted to making simple square patchworks.  I have to come up with something else to do with the patchwork, though.  I don't really think I need that many pot holders!


Linking up to Fabric Tuesday and Made by Me Wednesday!  



Happy sewing!  God bless!

For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you. ~Proverbs 2:10-11

love, Lisa

8 comments:

Katie B. said...

I love the duck, but those potholders are just precious!

Michelle (LemonadeGal) said...

I am really loving the potholders! They are super cute! I may need to pull out some of my own scraps. :)
~Michelle

LuLu said...

Oh my goodness, those pot holder's are so cute! What a great idea for a Mother's Day present. And that duck is so darling! I can't get over the duck bill :-)

Susan said...

These birdie hot pot holders are adorable... Wow... I want them in my kitchen! Did you make up the pattern? You should write it up, its fantastic! Great job with the duck as well. Where are you going to put it up??

Wendy said...

That is such a cute little duck and I love the potholders! Do you draw the birds freehand?

Maysem said...

Hi Lisa! It was so nice to be able to do a swap with you:) Can't wait to get my potholders!

I'm also stopping by to let you know that I've awarded you the oh so special Versatile Blogger Award:P (http://odetoinspiration.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/i-got-an-award/). Just for good fun, so no expectations to play along:) Have a wonderful day and week!

Hazel said...

Such cute little birdies! and the duck is just divine! Lovley crafting!

Hazel said...

Those are such cute little birdies! and the duck is just divine! Lovely crafting.