Pin

April 24, 2012

Sashiko Wallhanging

I love sashiko embroidery.  I did my first one a few weeks ago and since it was finished I had an idea of what to do with it.  I finally realized that idea a few days ago.  I paired it with some leftover Central Park fabric pieces from the Kaleidoscope quilt I made last year.


It was simple enough to make using a template.  The rounded corners on the Sashiko were easy to repeat in the piecing as I used a dresden template for the border.


I like that rounded edges.  Reminds me of the little punch I have that rounds the corners of photos and paper.  The dresdens pieces are stacked opposite one another for the straight runs and then used in the traditional way to achieve the curve on the corners.


I also included a ruffled border between the two.  I like the interest it adds to the center square without taking away from the embroidery.    It was a bit of a challenge to figure out how to get it in there.


So this is my finished project. 


ETA*Linking to Fabric Tuesday over at QuiltStory and Made by Me at JAQ's Studio!


I'm entering it into this weeks Weekly Themed Quilt Contest (which happens to be Wallhangings!) over at Quilting Gallery.  


 I like voting for my favorite projects and checking to see if they win.  It's quite a bit of fun!  Wish me luck!  Do you have a wallhanging to enter?  I hope you each have a blessed week!  

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.  ~John 3:16

love, Lisa

2 comments:

Katie B. said...

This is lovely, Lisa! I really like the ruffly border.

Beth said...

Beautiful. i haven't seen this type of Sashiko before - lovely.