Pin

May 18, 2012

Bloggers Quilt Festival ~Spring 2012

  I'm so excited that this 'Slice of Summer' quilt is finally done!  This is an idea that I've wanted to execute for about a year.  It is so fun to see it realized.  And done in time for the Bloggers Quilt Festival is even better!


Originally I wanted to be done with the Farmer's Wife Quilt for this occasion but I soon realized that was not going to happen.  I then focused my time and energy on this one.  I'm so glad I did.


 I made this quilt to be used.   I hope that it travels well and holds up in the  wash because I plan on having to launder it often before the end of summer!


Another idea I have for this quilt is to fill in the white spaces on the front with a record of our summer(s).  I am not quite sure if I will embroider the dates and events on the quilt or maybe write them on in a permanent marker.  I'm leaning toward the embroidery as I know that even permanent markers tend to fade out in the wash and turn an ugly brownish-gray.


Here are the specifics:  All fabrics for the piecing are DS Quilts from JoAnn's (all bought at 40% off!).   Backing is made up of these same fabrics.  And the white and binding (black) are both Kona Cottons.  Pieced and quilted by me.  Quilting is very simple...just some straight lines to make large diamonds.  I wanted it to remain somewhat fluffy.


I'm so looking forward to spending some time this weekend with  glass of tea out on the patio with my laptop to visit some of the many quilts and blogs that will also be linking to Amy's Bloggers Quilt Festival!  Thanks for visiting!  Have a blessed day!

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.  ~Matthew 5:8

love, Lisa

31 comments:

mennikelly said...

It looks gorgeous and like such a perfect summer quilt!

susan said...

Lovely quilt.

Kendra from missknittas studio said...

I just love this, including the back! Well done!

Katie B. said...

I'm in love! The back is just so cool.

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

Oh my goodness me that quilt is a true beauty - equilateral triangles and hexagons - pretty much perfect!

Little Island Quilting said...

I like the idea of a 40% off quilt!

Charlotte said...

that's just gorgeous!

CitricSugar said...

Very pretty. I really like the idea of journalling your summer on it.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Very pretty and what a great idea!

Margaret said...

sweet quilt

Margaret
http://quiltsoflove.blogspot.com/

Susan Being Snippy said...

Iam partial to hexagons and love the way you incorporated them with the equalateral triangles! Great idea too to document your summer right on the quilt that travels with you!

Fabric Warrior (aka Amie) said...

Your quilt is so so so pretty! I love it: the color, the fabric choice, the layout. You did a great job.

Janet said...

And your pretty quilt - on the patio, with the tea. It is lovely and I like the hexagons interspersed amongst the triangles.

Karen said...

What a lovely quilt & a great idea to add details as a momento of your summer!

Wendy said...

Such a beautiful quilt. I love the back and your idea to embroider memories on it.

Beth said...

Such a lovely quilt - I love how your idea to record memories! Have fun using it!

Karen said...

Great idea to use this beauty as a memory quilt, love that!

Cindy said...

Such a happy quilt! Love it. And the banner of flags on the back is so cute.

Happy Quilt Festival.

Denise in PA said...

Ooo, Lisa - I love this!! What a great quilt! I have a bunch of those DS fabrics too. The back is as nice as the front too! I am always so impressed with great backs. Take care!

Eileen said...

very nice. lovely fabrics in a nice design and love that you'll be using it a lot--always nice for a quilt. fun back, too. great idea to use it as a remembrance quilt, too. thanks for sharing and have a great day

erica said...

This is lovely~ the fabrics you chose are so cheerful and bright!

Krysta said...

I love the idea of journaling your summer on the quilt! That is awesome :)

sunt said...

What a great quilt! It has a real nautical feel, with the reds and blues. :-) Enjoy!

Hazle
suntred02 at aol.com

Melanie said...

This is the perfect summer quilt! I love it! Thanks for sharing!

Robin said...

So fun! I love the idea of it as a memory quilt. And the back is as happy as the front. Yay, bunting! :)

Kelli said...

I love this! So good that you are going to use it! I use all of mine and love that they get softer and squish ire every day!

pinsandneedles said...

Lovely scrappy quilt of DS fabrics! Great job!

April said...

Very Pretty! Your blog is great, I'm new follower. April@Little mama Hen

Christina said...

Lisa, check out this website: quiltindex.org. I learned about it in class when I was using your pics!

Habibti at Home said...

Cute quilt! And love love love the back!!

Simply Sandy said...

I really like the idea of personalizing this quilt as you go.
It's a fun quilt and I especially like the bunting on the back. Darling!